With Thanksgiving right around the corner, there are many things to consider when decorating your patio and yard. You want it to be festive, but you don’t want to overdo it.
This guide will help you find the right balance between decoration and function with five tips for decorating your patio for Thanksgiving.
5 Ways to Prep Your Deck for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays.
It’s a time to gather with friends and family, eat good food, and reflect on what we are thankful for. The holiday season is always a busy time in the home decor industry and this year is no different!
If you are hosting Thanksgiving on your back patio this year, you may be thinking about ways to decorate for the occasion. Here are our best tips to make your Thanksgiving outside — memorable.
1. Rent Outdoor Heaters
If you’re looking for a way to heat your patio for Thanksgiving, but aren’t sure if it’s possible, consider renting an outdoor space heater to keep your family and friends warm throughout the entirety of your Thanksgiving meal.
These heaters are easy to use, and renting them makes them more affordable than purchasing them! (And more time often than not, the rental company will come to your home to set them up for you so you don’t have to worry about toting them back and forth.)
2. Use Outdoor Rugs to Warm Up the Space
Wondering how you can pull together your outdoor space?
Rugs are an easy way to spruce up your patio, but they can do more than just add color. They also add warmth and comfort—important things to have when you’re sitting outside on Thanksgiving!
Rugs can also create a focal point in your space, defining different areas of your patio (such as recreational or seating).
If you are wondering what style/color of an area rug to choose, consider measuring your space, looking to your current decorations for color ideas, and turning to Pinterest for additional inspiration
3. Create a Focal Point for Your Table
A great Thanksgiving-themed centerpiece can draw the eye in and create visual interest amid your Thanksgiving spread.
For ideas, try:
- Using a variety of textures: One of the best ways to make a statement on your table is with texture. The different materials used in your centerpiece can create depth and dimension, as well as draw attention to specific elements in the display.
- Thinking beyond flowers: Flowers are beautiful, but they can also be limiting when trying to find an interesting centerpiece idea. If you want something that isn’t floral, consider using branches, pinecones, or seasonal harvest instead. Branches can be arranged into almost any shape, so they’re perfect for expressing creativity and personality.
- Keeping it simple: When choosing an item for your centerpiece, keep in mind its overall simplicity — especially if you’re using it as part of an overall table design. A simple piece will work best if it’s surrounded by a lot of colors or other decorations on other parts of your table.
- Use height: Heightened items stand out more than those at eye level, so try placing small and tall elements in groups of three to bring interest to the table.
4. Add Cozy Blankets to Everyone’s Seat
No one likes to be cold. No one.
If you want to add some extra warmth to your patio (or make it feel more like a “home away from home”), try adding cozy blankets to everyone’s seat at the table.
That way, when it gets colder throughout the evening, everyone has something cozy to cuddle up with. (Also, adding blankets is also an easy way to add texture and visual interest to your patio area!)
5. Layer Your Patio Furniture with Pillows and Cushions
Nothing says “comfort” like outdoor pillows and cushions.
To keep everyone comfortable throughout the meal, consider investing in outdoor-specific pillows and cushions to create a space of comfort and style. You can either choose autumn-colored cushions, neutral-colored cushions, or colorful cushions to bring everyone together!
If you are at a loss for what pillows and cushions to use, check out our autumn line at Cushion Connection for inspiration!
Stay Cozy with Cushion Connection
These tips are just the beginning of what you can do to create a warm, welcoming outdoor space for Thanksgiving. And, you’re sure to please both yourself and your guests with a tasteful display that celebrates the season.
What ideas do you have?
Need new outdoor cushions or pillows for the Thanksgiving season? Shop our cushions today!